Borrowing & fees
Find something good to check out? Of course you did. Here’s what you need to know about borrowing and your account.
Loan periods and fees
We do not charge overdue fines on late materials. Period!
|Item||Loan Period||Limit||Renewal||Hold*||Late Fines|
|CDs, audiobooks||3 weeks||-||3||Yes||None|
|Hot Pick DVDs*||1 week||4||0||No|
|Video games||1 week||10||3||Yes|
|Display books||2 weeks||-||1||No|
|Most Wanted books*||2 weeks||-||0||No|
|New fiction or nonfiction||2 weeks||-||3||Yes|
|Magazines||1 week||4 per title||1||No|
|Cameras, laptops, other equipment*||1 week||4||3||Yes||None|
|WiFi Hotspots*||3 weeks||1||3||Yes|
|*Limited to Skokie cardholders
If you have one or more items that are 21+ days overdue, or you owe $30+ in replacement costs or collections fees, you will not be able to check out anything else or renew any currently checked out items until you return the late items or pay down your balance. If you owe more than $30, you may also be referred to a collection agency and a processing fee will be added to your account.
Renewals and Holds
Log in to your account to see checkouts, due dates, fines, renewals, and reserves.
You can renew most items at least once if no one else is on the waiting list. Call 847-673-2675 to use our automated renewal line or log in to renew online.
To renew items borrowed from another library:
- For LINKin items, log in to your library account. DVDs borrowed through LINKin can be renewed once for a one week period. All other LINKin items can be renewed once for a two week period.
- For Interlibrary loan items, call 847-673-7774 ext. 3141, or request a renewal online. Interlibrary loan items can be renewed once.
Place holds through our catalog, in person, or by phone. There is no limit on the number of holds you may place. If you don’t see something you want, request it.
You have three options for getting your held items:
- Pick up holds at the library
- Have items placed on the Bookmobile for pickup
- Have items delivered to you through the mail with Library Express (mailing cost is $2 per item)
Paying Replacement Costs and Collections Fees
Lost items may incur a replacement charge.
Pay replacement charges by:
- Check: Please make the check out to "Skokie Public Library" and write your barcode number on the memo line. Mail checks to Skokie Public Library, attn. Patron Services, 5215 Oakton, Skokie, IL 60077
- Credit or Debit Card: Pay online by logging into your account and selecting "Fines/Fees" and then "Pay Online." You may also pay with your card using one of our self-checkout machines in the library.
Payment of fines post to your account within 24 hours. If your account has not been sent to our collection agency, your library card will be available for use when the fees on your record total less than $30.00. If your account has been sent to collections, your library card will be suspended until the balance is $0.
Refunds for "lost and paid" items
We will refund you for “lost and paid” items if you return the item in good condition within 90 days.