The BOOMbox is an interactive space designed to promote STEAM learning for all ages. The BOOMbox room is currently closed due to COVID-19, but we can still learn and have fun at home.
Amy Holcomb, Experiential Learning Supervisor
SKOKIE NATURE WITH NEIGHBORS
Observe the natural world around you and log what you see as part of a community project to document and classify the biodiversity in Skokie.
Exploring the Elements
During spring, we're exploring the four elements of earth, air, fire, and water.
- Design candy art
- Craft an edible candle
- Build a DIY paper pinwheel
- Experiment using a fart chart
- Create a gas
- Make a DIY fire extinguisher (use adult assistance!)
Explore nature in your backyard and beyond.
- Learn about slime as a defense tool and make your own.
- Cook backyard glamping recipes
- Make a bee watering station
- Explore the issue of eating insects
- Make a Know When to Grow zine
- Build your own origami rocket (video)
- Draw your far out dreams
- Make space-themed ice cream (video)
- Design your own sculpture
Be a Poet
Poetry is a fantastic way to express yourself.
Follow a poetry resource guide and explore the structure of poetry.
Create your own poems using materials you have at home.
Enjoy these downloadable PDF booklets full of activities to try at home.
How Do I Make That?
Have you ever wondered how some materials are made? These activities can help you learn the ingredients of items, as well as how to make them.
Hide and Seek
Learn all about disguises and things unseen by the human eye.