at Skokie Public Library
From time to time, both full and part time job openings occur. Positions include supervisory and non-supervisory, librarians, information assistants, computer assistants, catalogers, shelvers, clerks, and maintenance personnel.
Part-time volunteer opportunities are also available at Skokie Public Library. These opportunities may be regularly scheduled, or may occur on an as-needed basis for special projects. Anyone over the age of 14 may apply to be a volunteer. Volunteer opportunities may include reading to the blind, helping patrons use computers, clerical responsibilities, assisting children with crafts, helping librarians plan programming for teens or other patrons, or cleaning library videos.
Applications for both paid and volunteer positions are available Monday through Friday from 9:00am to 5:00pm in the Administration Office on the third floor of the Library. Completed applications are kept on file for one year and are often the primary source for filling job openings.
Tuesdays from 4:00 to 9:00pm
Wednesdays from 5:00 to 9:00pm
Fridays from 5:00 to 9:00pm
Additional hours on some Saturdays and Sundays each month
The Technology Assistant staffs the Adult Computer Labs, oversees public access computers and software, and provides excellent customer service to the users of the public computers.
- Knowledge of Microsoft and Apple computer systems
- Strength in digital media creation such as audio, images, and video
- Expertise with word processing, spreadsheet, and desktop publishing software, including Microsoft Office Suite
- Expertise with the Internet, including Web-based email and browsers
- Understanding of basic hardware and software operating principles; ability to troubleshoot computer systems and isolate problems
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to frequently use a computer
- Clear oral and written communication skills with people of all ages
- Training skills with people of all ages
- Experience in use of computers, software, electronic resources, and Internet as related to libraries
- Experience in a customer service environment preferred
- Familiarity with a foreign language desirable
- Assists patrons in the usage of various software packages, programs, computers, printers, scanners, etc.
- Troubleshoots minor problems with computer hardware, software, and peripherals
- Schedules appointments for use of public workstations
- Ensures that rules are consistently followed in the Computer Labs and maintains order
- Cleans and checks computers daily for general working order
- Sets up software programs for users according to Library computer policy
- Executes opening and closing procedures for all public computers
- Completes computer-related projects assigned by Supervisor
- Provides training for patrons in computer skills development, individually or in small classes
- Keeps tally of computer statistics for monthly report
- May serve as a contact to solve problems with copiers
- Maintains a current knowledge of the Library’s electronic resources
- Nearly constant computer use
- Must be able to navigate the department to assist patrons
- Must be able to lift laptop computers and maneuver rolling carts
Pay range starts at $16.22 per hour.
Mail, fax, or email a cover letter and resume to:
Beth Dostert, Manager of Human Resources
Skokie Public Library
5215 Oakton Street
Skokie, Illinois 60077
Send an message to Beth Dostert
No phone calls, please.
Check us out!
Skokie Public Library is an equal opportunity employer, located just west of the Skokie Village Hall.